Home users need not apply, but businesses looking for the best way to manage their network's security now have a new solution to consider.
Symantec announced Wednesday the launch of its Hosted Endpoint Protection, a cloud-based protection service for small- and medium-size organizations. The company says that this new solution offers comprehensive security for the clients' computer systems without additional hardware or management software.
Customers will be able to protect their Windows-based laptops, desktops, and file servers using a Web-based console. Traditionally, in order to have this level of comprehensive protection, including Symantec's existing Endpoint Protection, a company would need a dedicated piece of hardware or a server in its network to manage it.
According to Symantec, the new Software as a service (SaaS) approach of the new Hosted Endpoint Protection is much easier to deploy and set up, requires minimal maintenance, and is therefore suitable for businesses that have limited resources.
Symantec claims that the Hosted Endpoint Protection leverages its Global Intelligence Network and benefits from the network's rapid threat identification and response. The service offers automatic security updates, so it helps the customers keep their employees' computers protected both at the office and on the go.
Key features and benefits of Symantec's Hosted Endpoint Protection are:
- Comprehensive protection: Advanced technologies for antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and host intrusion prevention.
- Always-on protection for endpoints: Automated updates occur transparently over an Internet connection to keep employee systems current and consistent with client policies when employees are in the office or on the road--even when they're not logged into their corporate VPN.
- Web-based management console: Administrators can access the administration portal over a supported Web-browser without the need for corporate VPN access. Administrators receive real-time alerts via SMS or e-mail and can perform functions such as initiate a LiveUpdate to refresh system protection levels, view history on systems, and change local policy settings.
- Ease of management: Adds and manages new computers without requiring on-site management servers.
- Scalable: Flexibility provided through a hosted model allows the solution to scale to incorporate new endpoints quickly and efficiently without requiring additional hardware or management software.
- Fast to deploy: Can be quickly deployed to users via standard download or e-mail invitation, or can be silently pushed to the customer's network.
The new Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection is available now with the price varying, depending on the number of users who need protection. The company offers a trial at this Web site, where, unfortunately, you must surrender your information and then wait for Symantec to get back to you.