Google launches cloud storage, competes with Amazon S3
Google Storage for Developers offers 100 GB of storage space and 300 GB per month in data-transfer bandwidth for free; the offering competes directly with Amazon's cloud storage service Simple Storage Service (or S3).
Other features include the following:
- Secure Sockets Layer support
- Multiple authentication methods
- Access controls for sharing with individuals and groups
- Read-after-write data consistency support
- Web-based interface for storage management
Presently, the service is available only by invitation. In addition to initial fees, Google will reportedly charge through a utility-computing model -- that is, the more you use, the more you pay.
HP LoadRunner brings application performance testing to EC2
Hewlett-Packard Co. has brought performance testing to the cloud with HP LoadRunner in the Cloud, an application performance testing offering available via Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
HP LoadRunner in the Cloud enables businesses to do the following:
- protect the integrity of applications and website performance through more ubiquitous testing;
- increase agility for quicker response to unplanned, ad hoc situations with an on-demand, preinstalled performance testing application;
- take advantage of affordable, hourly rates
HP also offers Software as a Service (or SaaS) testing services, including the following:
- HP Elastic Test enables IT organizations to take advantage of cloud elasticity by instantly expanding testing capacity cost-effectively. Specifically designed for spike-load testing, HP Elastic Test provides the ability to scale up to very large loads in a utility-based fashion.
- HP Cloud Assure takes advantage of the speed, flexibility, scalability and cost-effectiveness of cloud services, testing and measuring security, performance, availability and cost control.